Friday, December 10, 2010

Travelogues # 1

32, 000 feet up
With human-made skin
We rise up, we rumble around
Why did I let
My children get in?

To the left, hello Monrovia
To the right, it's nothing but depth
But then the sunrise
Six miles high
My fears face a new death

~~~~~~~~~~

My family is traveling right now. We survived a two day long process that included one flight that was 14 hours long. I was despairing of all sanity after six hours. And that was just one of three plane trips.

When we arrived, though, all memories of turbulence and flying for hours over the ginormous Atlantic in a little metal tube faded. We are, truly, in one of the most beautiful locations in the world: Cape Town, South Africa, visiting grandparents. The creativity and beauty here is spectacular.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I read Kelly Corrigan's book The Middle Place on the plane. Trying to hide my eyes full of tears three inches away from hundreds of other human beings was funny. Her book - it's simply beautiful. This is what came to my mind about her:

She moves effortlessly through words
Her hands leaving an effervescent trail
Of adjectives and similes behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly, our family loves dancing around to this song right now. (You have to get to about minute 2.35 to see why.) 

5 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Wow. Such exotic tales you will have!

Chelle said...

Love hearing from you. Love that you have the first few legs of that insanely long trip behind you...love that you were gifted with sunrises and books that make you cry on the way. Love that you are with grandparents in a lovely far-away land! Have been thinking of and praying for you so much! xo

Nikki said...

I'm so glad to know that you've arrived safely--and South Africa is one of my very favorite places in the world, so I'm excited to see it through your eyes!

Love love love your way with words. It is a gift. Thank you for sharing that gift with us.

Rita said...

Oh, I am just so jealous! Enjoy the mountain, the sea, the beauty ... but stay away from the baboons!

Misha said...

Nikki - I walked out to the very tippy point of this country, praying for you specifically. You know why.

Chelle - Thank you so much for praying! Seriously needed that on this trip. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Jennifer Jo - I know! It's so amazing introducing our kids to our favourite place. And seeing it through their eyes. It's incredible!

Rita- We though of you specifically as we drove Chapman's Peak Drive and wished you were with us for a glass of South African wine at the top! We love you! Your country sends you kisses! Kusjes and liefs.