Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Many Colours of Travel: Grey - #3


My husband had been up since 5 am and left to go for a walk on the beach.  At 6:30 I was down on the sand waiting for him to come back, wanting to beat the sunrise. At 7 am he came back and I took off, trying to be less impatient than I felt. 

I felt dumb for being grumpy.


I had only run for a few minutes when I saw something in the shallow waves. A seagull was guarding it.

The first thing I clearly saw was the fin. The next shape I saw was the head and I was sprinting home before I could even think straight. Later I was embarrassed that it never even crossed my mind to pick it up, which was the first thing my husband did when I came gasping back with my other family members praying it was still there for especially my son to see.

It was. And it was incredible.

My boy had just told us how much he wanted to see a shark and I had calmly told him I didn't think there were any in New Zealand.

(He told me there were lots of hammerheads and I wasn't so sure. )

No comments: